I started out not liking it as I didn't know how to play - I don't mean that I didn't know any strategies I didn't even know the rules, and it all seemed way to complex for me to grasp. To be honest I just thought poker was another card game like 'chase the ace' or 'rummie' . At the time I had no idea just how deep and complex the game is.
So after playing a bit at school I decided I'd sign up on Full Tilt Poker. I stumbled across the UK free rolls and then played each night for about a month, as I wasn't old enough to deposit.eventually I cashed for a massive $2, 'Ballin' - 10th out of 1700 for $2 (FML)... So I carefully started to play the 2nl 60cent cap games to try to make my limited BR last. I remember a hand were I bluff check raised on a paired flop and I don't think I've sweated a time bank as much to this day, I was shaking inside, the bluff was only like 40cents, but when your whole roll is $2.. you need him to fold.
What happened next is a bit of a blur, I think I may have even busted that roll (yea.. all 4bucks of it.Sick Downswing) and won another 2bucks in that free roll, but I'm not 100% on that. I know that at some point with a $4 roll I shipped a $2.25 27player SnG for 20 bucks and some change and from then there was no looking back.
It wasn't a smooth ride by any means, I didn't know anything about the game, it was probably only my naturally passive personality that prevented me from going broke as I was too scared to be risking chips with anything less than a premium hand. I read in Phil Gordons Little Green Book than domination was death in Hold'em. That was me mucking AT and lower for a good while.
I took a bad beat that was probably the best bad beat I'll ever have... Enraged that my AA lost to QQ on a pre-flop all in, I ended up on the forums to post about how rigged it all was. If I didn't find that forum I honestly don't know if I'd still be playing poker today. The strat advice I got there was invaluable, I didn't want to hear it at first, but eventually I realised that these people knew their stuff and I started to learn from them. Perhaps most importantly the use of BankRoll Management, IMO it should be the first thing anyone ever learns in poker, even before the hand ranking chart or the importance of position.
So over the next few months I built my roll up to be playing 50nl 6max. It took a while to get there, not helped by the drunken HU games where I dropped 500 which was about half my roll at the time after a night out. But then I had a nasty surprise...
It was an email from Support asking me for age verification. Being 17 I was clearly fucked. What could I do? It wasn't even the fifteen hundred dollars that was about to be confiscated that bothered me the most. It was the worry of not being able to play poker online. The money never really mattered to me, it still doesn't. I play to win money but I just like owning people basically, and out thinking them. Makes me feel good yea.
Not wanting to just give it up I managed to send in some fake ID that was actually given the thumbs up by the support department hahaha. I was free to carry on playing. But a few hours later I got an email from the security department saying that the ID was full of shit, and they'd 'look forward to welcoming me back when I'm 18'... Fuck that. I emailed them being a bit rude and they perma-banned me FOR LIFE. gg me and that was the end of my nolan6 account. Is it sad that I kinda miss that Screen name? At the time I used to want to change it but it was who I was.
I'll tell y'all about then up to now another time, because this post already got way tl;dr standards. =].
No comments:
Post a Comment